|The city of Kankakee is located in Kankakee County, Chicagoland region of Illinois, Midwest United States. The city has a population of about 27,000, with an elevation of a little under 700 feet above Sea Level. |
The City's website is Kankakee and the local Convention and Visitors Bureau provides a wealth of information about Kankakee County and the Kankakee Area.
The major industries of the Kankakee area are health care, higher education, manufacturing, and retail trade. The Kankakee Area is the regional retail market center for the area South of the Chicago suburbs, with a strong reputation as a City of Restaurants serving Interstate Highway 57 travelers, from Interstate Highway 57 Exit 308, Interstate Highway 57 Exit 312, Interstate Highway 57 Exit 315, and Interstate Highway 57 Exit 322. Suburban Bradley is the retail hub serving Interstate Highway 57 Exit 315.
The Kankakee Area has a hot summer, cold winter climate, typical of the interior Midwest region of the United States of America.
Kankakee is served by the Illinois Central Railroad, a Canadian National Railway subsidiary, which provides Amtrak passenger service to Kankakee Depot and freight service. Amtrak ID: KKI. Kankakee Amtrak:
Kankakee is served by Greyhound Bus Lines.
Kankakee is located on Interstate Highway 57, exits 308, 312, and 315; United States Highway 45; United States Highway 52; Illinois State Highway 17; Illinois State Highway 50; Illinois State Highway 113; and Illinois State Highway 115.
The Kankakee Area is served by the Greater Kankakee Airport, ID: IKK. Greater Kankakee
With its reputation as a City of Restaurants the Kankakee Area has a greater share of restaurants, and of fine restaurants, per capita than its population would suggest. The restaurants are located throughout the City and the adjacent suburban Villages. A trip to the nearby City of Momence can also reward the traveler looking for fine dining.
• Uncle Johnnis Restaurant & Pancake House, 1940 East Court Street, 815-933-1022, offers a very large menu of American, Greek, and other cuisines. It offers quality, quantity, and variety, including full breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus, and also pizza. Drive west from I-57 Exit 312, about 1/4 mile.
• Poor Boy Restaurant, 1514 East Court Street, 815-939-1880, offers fast food: American, Greek, and Mexican. Drive west from I-57 Exit 312.
• Johnny's Pizza, 265 South Schuyler Avenue, 815-939-2333, offers pasta, soups, sandwiches, salads, and pizza, a rich and varied Italian cuisine. Open for lunch and again for dinner, but sometimes closed in mid-afternoon. Drive north from I-57 Exit 308, South Schuyler Avenue; or drive west from I-57 Exit 312 Court Street, then left into South Schuyler Avenue.
• Lori's Diner, 364 East Court Street, 815-939-3790, offers home style cooking. Open for breakfast and lunch. Drive west from I-57 Exit 312 on Illinois 17, Court Street
• Soul Da Soul Barbeque Restaurant, 559 East Court Street, 815-932-3663, barbeque. Drive west from I-57 Exit 312, Court Street.
• Out on a Limb, 139 South Schuyler Avenue, 815-939-9421, is attractive and unique.
• The Landing Bar and Grill, 575 South Schuyler Avenue, 815-935-5454, offers a complete bar & grill menu, is a popular gathering place, and has an excellent view of the Kankakee River.
• Kankakee is the home of Olivet Nazarene University, located in the suburban Village of Bourbonnais.
• Kankakee Community College is located in Kankakee.
| || |
Kankakee is served by the River Valley Metro Transit District.
The Daily Journal is the city's Newspaper of Record.
The local AM Radio Station (Medium Wave Radio Station) is WKAN 1320 AM, Kankakee. FM (Frequency Modulation) Radio Stations include: WKIF 92.7 FM, Kankakee; WONU 89.7 FM, Kankakee; WKCC (91.1 FM) Kankakee, WVLI 95.1 FM, Kankakee; WAWF 88.3 FM; Kankakee; and W205AZ 88.9 FM, Kankakee; WIVR 101.7 FM, Kentland, Indiana; and WYKT 105.5 FM Wilmington.
The Kankakee area is served by Provena St. Mary's Hospital, 500 West Court Street, Kankakee, and the Riverside Medical Center, 350 North Wall Street, Kankakee.
The City nearest to Kankakee is Momence, population about 3,000, also located in Kankakee County. Kankakee suburbs include the Villages of Aroma Park, Bradley, Bourbonnais, and Sun River Terrace. Other nearby Villages include Herscher, Grant park, Hopkins Park, Manteno, Union Hill, and St. Anne, all in Kankakee County. Chebanse is located in Kankakee County and neighboring Iroquois County; and Reddick is located in Kankakee County and neighboring Livingston County.