The best way to get there is by car from Interstate 49 south, if you are coming from Shreveport, or north, if coming from Alexandria. The most convenient nearby airport is likely Shreveport Regional (SHV), where flights come daily from Dallas-Fort Worth. The Natchitoches Regional Airport is a small airport located within the city.
• Mama's Oyster Bar
• Papas Bar and Grill
• The Historic District along the Cane River Lake in downtown Natchitoches features architecture reminiscent of the French Quarter in New Orleans. Antique shops and restaurants line the old brick street in front of the Cane River Lake. Many older mansions are nearby and include bed and breakfasts if you decide to stay the night.
• The Bayou Pierre Alligator Park is located nearby Natchitoches. Hundreds of alligators are visible to visitors. Here you can feed the alligators, enjoy Cajun food and music, as well as try some alligator meat. Also visit the petting zoo and exotic animal habitat.
• Fort Saint Jean Baptiste is located in Natchitoches as well, and includes a recreated environment of the early 1700's fort, which was the oldest in the Louisiana Purchase. An interpretive center/museum will provide visitors with a glimpse into colonial Natchitoches. It features a short historic video and several exhibits and artifact displays.
• Northwestern State University is a large presence in the city and has a scenic campus worth driving through. The university, with an enrollment over 10,000 is home to the Normal Hill Historic District, featuring many historic buildings and structures.
Louisiana-related antiques and other products can be purchased at the shops along the lakefront in downtown. Alligator related products can be purchased at the alligator farm. Northwestern State University related products can be purchased from Campus Corner across the street from the University.
National hotel chains have franchises in Natchitoches. Several large hotels are located near I-49, where it passes the outskirts of Natchitoches.
• Holiday Inn Express Natchitoches 5131 Highway 6.
• Ramada Inn Natchitoches 7624 Highway 1 Bypass.
Bed and Breakfasts are located close to the Historic District of Downtown Natchitoches as well.
• Steel Magnolia Bed & Breakfast 320 Jefferson St, 238-2585.
• Hampton Inn Natchitoches 5300 University Parkway
• French Quarters Bed and Breakfast 104 Poete St, 352-3123.
• Judge Porter House Bed and Breakfast 321 2nd St, 352-9206.
Adapted from WikiTravel under the Wiki License
This site is operated by 2024 Cedar Lake Software